- 4-5 cups (16-20 oz) flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup shortening (5 1/4oz butter)
- 1 cup sugar (8 oz)
- 1 cup molasses (11 oz)
- 2 eggs (beaten)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 4 cup dried apples
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cloves
- Preheat oven to 350f. Grease, paper and flour 3 9″ round pans.
- Cover apples with water and cook until soft. Mash with potato masher, then add apples and cloves.
- Cream together shortening, sugar and molasses. Sift together flour, salt and baking soda. Mix beaten eggs and buttermilk together. Add dry and wet ingredients, alternating in small amount, to creamed mixture. (You may need to add more flour (up to 1 cup) at this point so mixture will not flow).
- Divide mixture into 9″ round pans, leveling off dough in each pan. Bake at 350 degrees for about 20 min (or until they test done). Cakes will rise very little.
- Cool in pans about 10 min then turn onto wire racks until cooled completely. Cut each layer horizontally so you now have 6 layers. Spread approx. 1/2 cup filling between each layer.
- This cake is best when allowed to sit 24-48 hours at room temp. after assembly. Dust with confectioner’s sugar when ready to serve.