- 2 cups carrots, peeled and shredded
- 1 head green cabbage, grated
- 1 bunch fresh dill, minced
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 3-4 ounces fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 2 shakes Tabasco
- 1 Tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
Combine all ingredients except green cabbage and carrots in large mixing bowl.
Fold in cabbage and carrots.
Sweet Potato Black Bean Cakes
- 3 peeled and quartered sweet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup green onion
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 dashes Tabasco
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 4-5 cups bread crumbs
- 4 cups black beans rinsed and well drained
- 1 cup cracked and beaten eggs
Boil sweet potatoes until soft.
Drain and add spices.
Fold in remaining ingredients.
Deep fry or pan fry in 3 ounce cakes
If cake falls apart add more egg.
Makes 1 batch
- 3 T olive Oil
- 4 C tomatoes (chopped)
- 1 C onion (fine diced)
- 2 1/2 T flour
- 1/4 T basil
- 1/4 T thyme
- 1 T sugar
In heavy bottom pot or saucepan saute’ onions in
olive oil until translucent. Stir in flour to form roux.
Add tomatoes (stir in a little water or stock if needed
to prevent sticking). Add basil, thyme, sugar, salt
and pepper. Simmer on low for 30 minutes until
tomatoes are broken down.
(NOTE: I prefer a whisk for this one.)
Apple Stack Cake
- 4-5 cups (16-20 oz) flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup shortening (5 1/4oz butter)
- 1 cup sugar (8 oz)
- 1 cup molasses (11 oz)
- 2 eggs (beaten)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 4 cup dried apples
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cloves
- Preheat oven to 350f. Grease, paper and flour 3 9″ round pans.
- Cover apples with water and cook until soft. Mash with potato masher, then add apples and cloves.
- Cream together shortening, sugar and molasses. Sift together flour, salt and baking soda. Mix beaten eggs and buttermilk together. Add dry and wet ingredients, alternating in small amount, to creamed mixture. (You may need to add more flour (up to 1 cup) at this point so mixture will not flow).
- Divide mixture into 9″ round pans, leveling off dough in each pan. Bake at 350 degrees for about 20 min (or until they test done). Cakes will rise very little.
- Cool in pans about 10 min then turn onto wire racks until cooled completely. Cut each layer horizontally so you now have 6 layers. Spread approx. 1/2 cup filling between each layer.
- This cake is best when allowed to sit 24-48 hours at room temp. after assembly. Dust with confectioner’s sugar when ready to serve.